We are not big fans of Cream of Anything Soup in our house. I prefer to make things from scratch. Not only is it healthier, but it simply tastes better. When I found this recipe for Funeral Potatoes that didn’t ask for Cream of Chicken Soup, I knew that I had to try it. They tasted great and I ate way more than my fair share! Give it a try today! You won’t be disappointed! 🙂
( I found the recipe here)
No Cream of Soup Funeral Potatoes
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 large yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk (I even used skim)
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (I actually used 1 cup mozzarella and 1 cup Mexican cheese blend and it turned out just fine)
- 26-ounce bag frozen shredded hash browns, thawed
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 2 cups of lightly crushed cornflakes
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large pot over medium heat, add the butter and onion. Cook until the onion is softened and translucent, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add the flour. Cook, stirring constantly, for about a minute.
- Add the chicken broth and milk to the mixture. Add each one slowly while whisking.
- Add the salt, pepper and thyme and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce then simmer, stirring frequently, until the mixture is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese until smooth.
- Fold in the thawed hash browns until well combined.
- Then in the sour cream. Spread the mixture into a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- Combine the topping ingredients and sprinkle over the mixture.
- Bake at 325 for 45 minutes, until hot and bubbly.